Engine & Drivetrain Features
- Optimum power characteristics: The DOHC liquid-cooled parallel-twin engine uses a square bore & stroke of 67 mm x 66.8 mm for an optimum combination of strong low-end torque and horsepower and excellent top-end performance.The 67 mm bore size is the same as used on the CBR600RR.
- Smooth and compact: Engine vibration is kept to a minimum by using crank pins phased at 180 degrees and a balancer shaft behind the cylinders, which also contributes to the engine’s compact size.
- Crisp throttle response: PGM-FI electronic fuel injection keeps the engine running efficiently in all conditions and ensures crisp throttle response.
- Small & lightweight water pump: Careful flow analysis of the cooling system resulted in a water pump that’s small and lightweight, yet still more than capable of keeping the engine running its best at high output levels.
- Maximized flow efficiency: In order to maximize air- intake and exhaust efficiency, the path from the air cleaner through the intake ports to the exhaust pipe was made as straight as possible.
- Reduced weight & friction: The four valves in each of the DOHC cylinder heads have narrow stems, thereby reducing weight and friction and increasing efficiency.
- High-tech design: A light and compact roller- rocker-arm assembly and shim-type valve adjustment allows a lower valve-spring load for reduced friction and a compact cylinder head. And to ensure precise cylinder shape, the engine uses the same centrifugal- cast thin-wall sleeves as found in the CBR600RR.
- Improved durability: The pins in the silent cam chain have been treated with vanadium, which both reduces friction and improves durability. Lightweight pistons use the same advanced manufacturing process as those found in the CBR600RR.
- Reduced friction: The oil pump’s internal relief structure uses the same design as found in the CBR1000RR, which reduces friction, improves aeration performance and simplifies the shape of the oil pan.
- Smoother shifting: Improvements to the shifting mechanism in the six-speed gearbox result in even smoother, more precise shifting.
- The sound of power: A shorter muffler with redesigned internal structure produces an authoritative exhaust note and improves the bike’s mass centralization.
Chassis & Suspension Features
- Excellent response & feedback: The lightweight diamond- shaped steel frame was designed to allow a certain degree of yield, which enables it to better respond to changes in the road surface and to transmit just the right amount of feedback to the rider.
- Comfortable & sporty ride: The Pro-Link rear suspension with preload-adjustable shock and the 41 mm fork - with the addition of preload adjustability for 2016 - are calibrated for a comfortable but sporty ride.
- Easily balanced at stops: The rear section of the frame was designed to facilitate a seat height of 785 mm, which allows most riders to easily plant their feet on the ground when stopped.
- Excellent manoeuvrability: Lightweight cast aluminum wheels with Y- shaped spokes not only look trick, they also contribute to the bike’s excellent manoeuvrability.
- Reduced unsprung weight: Wave brake rotors with superlative heat- dissipating qualities are lighter than conventional discs of the same diameter, which helps to further reduce the bike’s unsprung weight.
- Strong & controlled stopping power: A powerful dual-piston brake caliper up front and a single-piston caliper at the back provide strong but easily controlled stopping power, even in difficult conditions. Also available with Honda's sophisticated ABS system.
- Sleek new bodywork: The CBR500R’s racy new fairing and rear section incorporate a pair of bright and distinctive LED headlights and an LED taillight.
- Improved airflow: Strategically placed vents and ducts in the front cowl and side panels improve rider comfort and protection while also aiding high- speed handling.
- Long-distance comfort: Ergonomics were carefully configured to ensure an unrestricted riding position that allows easy manoeuvring in town, an easy reach to the ground, as well as excellent comfort during long-distance highway trips.
- Excellent range & fuel efficiency: While the fuel tank on the CBR500R looks sleek and sporty, its larger capacity for 2016, combined with the engine’s fuel-efficient performance, allow you to ride long and far between gas stops.
- Convenient storage: A utility space under the seat accommodates a U-lock, wet-weather gear or other items.
- More upgrades: New adjustable brake lever and wave-style ignition key add to the CBR500R’s long list of premium features.
Engine & Drivetrain
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, parallel twin
- Displacement: 471 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 67 mm x 66.8 mm
- Compression Ratio: 10.7:1
- Valve Train: Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Fuel Delivery: PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: #520 O-ring-sealed chain
Chassis & Suspension
- Front Suspension: 41 mm telescopic fork; 108 mm (4.3 in) travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Link single shock with spring preload adjustment; 119 mm (4.7 in.) travel
Dimensions & Additional Information
- Tires: Front: 120/70ZR–17 Rear: 160/60ZR–17
- Brakes: Front: 320 mm single wavy hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper Rear: 240 mm single wavy hydraulic disc with single-piston caliper (with available ABS)
- Seat Height: 785 mm (30.9 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,410 mm (55.5 in.)
- Curb Weight: 194 kg (428 lbs.) - including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
- Fuel Capacity: 15.7 litres
- Colour: Matte Black Metallic (ABS), Pearl White (ABS), Millenium Red (ABS)
- Warranty: 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus